Hands On Physical Therapy is now offering Metabolic Testing!
What is a Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) Test? Metabolism is the process of converting food (calories) into energy. The efficiency with which your body does this is referred to as your metabolic rate. Many factors affect a person’s metabolic rate: weight, age, body composition, hormone levels, and gender making it a highly unique number.
Why Test your Metabolic Rate?
- Understanding your body’s unique metabolic rate will allow your practitioner to customize your weight loss or maintenance program around your needs.
- It can screen for a slowed metabolism that may explain frustrated attempts to lose weight in the past.
- It can reveal changes in your metabolism during the weight loss process that can help trouble shoot a frustrating plateau.
- Once you reach your goal, an RMR measurement can give you the precise caloric prescription for maintenance to help you sustain that goal weight.
How does the test work?
KORR MetabolicAnalyzers utilize the same technology as ICU metabolic testing. Because every calorie a person consumes requires a fixed amount of oxygen to be converted to energy, the KORR Analyzer measures the oxygen you consume to calculate calories burned. All of the air exhaled by the patient must be collected to measure oxygen consumption. Two one-way valves in the KORR MetaBreather ensure that only fresh air is inhaled and all exhaled gas passes through the hose and into the machine. A nose-clip ensures that all exhaled air is analyzed.
Preparing for the Test
- In order to get the most accurate results, it is important to follow the standard protocol for a Resting Metabolic Rate test:
- 1. You should avoid eating 4 hours before the test.
- 2. Avoid exercising prior to your test.
- 3. If possible, avoid the use of stimulants such as caffeine.